Thursday, July 23, 2015

How Much Did We Really Learn?

Today was so much fun and I got to listen to music sitting here blogging which is even more awesome. Today I learned so much I couldn't really put it into words I guess I have to try to put it into words. We moved from Wellpinit to Coeur d' Alene which is awesome because I've never been off of the rez much. We talked to a woman today about some stuff I forgot what it was called but it is awesome, her name was Stephanie Hallock she works in the fisheries program. They got to work in a field on a like trench kind of thing and there was 91m of stream habitat which is very interesting, the area altogether is 36mi2. The people she worked with had to work with people who are not associated with the tribe there, which makes them stubborn in my opinion. She was mentioning that there were lots of bank erosion there in that spot that they were working on. They are currently working on things there that seem kind of hard to me probably only because I haven't done it yet. 

We got to go to a traditional dinner they had at the longhouse here in Coeur d' Alene, which made me happy because it has been a while since I've had traditional food I was so used of it before. We had to go to our camp site but we were just suppose to just go to camp and set up then go to a camp to watch and swim and stuff but it got canceled sadly. We got to watch these girls from white swan (that's where we are from) do a welcome dance and the butterfly dance. I don't like that their language is slowly dying there is only one elder that fluently knows this language. They are trying their best to keep this language going in the community, they are working with the children and they are trying to get the adults into it also so the kids have someone to keep it going with but the adults here are stubborn I'm guessing. 

The people we are talking with are saying that they are at a level 8 and the language is endangered and the people from white swan (besides us) were saying that our language is slowly getting to the endangered stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment